Monday, September 14, 2026

Come from Away

  When September 11, 2001 began, it was a normal Tuesday. I was up early for something I don't remember, but I was on my way home when I heard the news of the first attack. I got in the door, and Mom was already watching the news. We sat together and watched the next attack unfold in shock.

    Growing up in the 80s and 90s, we were still dealing with the aftermath of the world wars, the Cold War, and Y2K. We were collectively holding our breath for the proverbial shoe to drop. So, when it did, we expected the world to end. 

    Watching those towers fall and the ensuing aftermath was devastating. Hearing about the downed plane that didn't reach its destination due to the brave acts of the passengers on board was equally inspiring and heart wrenching. Knowing so many were losing someone they loved and depended on, it galvanized us as a country and showed the world what being American really stood for. 

    I have heard many lament for the time just after the attacks. When we as a nation came together in a way rarely seen. We looked out for each other. Even with the fear of further retaliation, we had learned from our past mistakes a bit and didn't go full boar on discriminating against all those who could claim Middle Eastern descent. This time we did not round up everyone and place them in camps. This is not to say that people were not hostile or degrading towards them, but the level of hostility never resulted in the government taking them away. I consider this an improvement in our behavior as a nation; when the precedent was there, our government chose to look outward for hostile forces this time. 

    That is not to say that we as a nation were fair to those who held no affiliation to extremists; people were still scared. We saw this yet again when COVID hit and suddenly anyone with Asian descent was suspect. Fear often unlocks the worst in humanity, and fear was ever present.

    But I digress; what put me in this reminiscent mood was that this month is the 25th anniversary of the attacks, and Daniel, Lizzy, Emily, and I were able to attend a showing of Come From Away, the musical about the planes that were diverted to Newfoundland as a precaution when the airspace was shut down. I had heard of the musical since 2017 and knew it was worth the viewing, so when I saw it come up at the Rep, I secured the tickets. We actually went to see it on September 12, so it was timely to say the least. 

    





    The fact that they landed in Newfoundland is poignant. For many of the passengers and crew of the 38 planes that landed there, really did find a new land. A new place to start and return to. If you get the chance to see this incredible show, please go. It is beautiful and heartbreaking, hopeful and just so, so human. The music is wonderful, and the band was so talented. Emily made friends with her seatmates, and we had a nice chat about the play and theater. It was a wonderful evening, and I should have brought 3 boxes of tissues; I was weeping before the second song. 
    This is what I like to remember: how people from anywhere and everywhere can find hope together. The world isn't nearly as cold as it seems; we are all, after all, human.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pain in the Head

       A week ago, I got news of my Dad falling and getting stitches in his head. I joked that he was following in Devon's footsteps, bu...