Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Reports From the Renaissance

     The Kansas Renaissance Festival is shifting into high gear. While they put on events year-round, this is the main event! A friend decided to go with her family for the first time, and her daughter insisted they dress up. I was only too happy to assist them. I pulled a few pieces, and they went away overwhelmed but happy. 

    Unfortunately, the day they went was in the high 90s, so they sweltered a bit. They seemed to enjoy themselves anyway. I'm glad they went and survived! We went the following week in much cooler temperatures. 

    This year I asked the kids what they wanted to dress up as; Charles wanted to go as a beggar. I had an old costume that was crazy quilted that I pieced together for his outfit and even had enough left over to make him a sack to carry things in. Devon wanted to be a plague doctor, but with German military vibes. I tried to make his vision come true. I am always surprised at the level of confidence my children have in my abilities. I looked through my patterns and modified 3 different ones to create his costume. Typically, I was putting the finishing touches on the morning of our visit to the faire.

    Emily did not want to dress up, but she did bring her toy sword. Teddy wore a D&D shirt I made for him and his "saucy" shorts. Back when I was asking them what they might like to wear, Teddy declared that he did not want a Renaissance shirt or vest or anything, but he was fine with Renaissance pants. So I clarified that he would wear something "renaissancey" in legwear, and he agreed to "saucy" pants.  I have laughed about that for months now. 

    Henry wanted to use his Robin Hood costume from last year; everything fit except for the pants, so he wore non-saucy pants. We somehow have lost one of the bracers too, but as long as he had one for his bow arm, it was fine. I will have to make him a bigger shirt next year. Lizzy's outfit was made up of the various options she has collected over the years. Daniel wore his blue outfit, and I wore my floral and green. I need to make him a new shirt as well. The mice had gotten to it at one point so it's looking a bit rough in places. 

    Enough chatter, on to the pretties!



    The obligatory photo with the fountain! As it had promised to rain, the crowds were sparser than usual, which was nice. We armed ourselves with umbrellas and separated into 2 groups. I took Henry and Teddy to the children's realm, and the rest wandered with Daniel.


    Whilst in the children's realm, the boys made wands and took them to the wizard for inspection. He listened to them and declared them fine wands. They each received a dragon's tear. Henry's was from an amethyst dragon. Teddy's was from a crystal dragon. 



    After finishing the obstacle course, they went to visit with Mother Goose and Lady Nightshade (apprentice to The Sandman). Lady Nightshade read them a story, and they received blessings from both ladies respectively. This year I came prepared with trinkets to trade. The boys were excited to trade with everyone.





    Henry really wanted to trade a trinket with The Sandman. He was away somewhere for a bit, but when he returned, Lady Nightshade came to get Henry so he could meet him. I thought that was sweet. 


    After playing on the pirate ship for a bit, King Ferdinand called everyone over to the stage. We came as bidden and found ourselves recruited for a play. Teddy chose to be on the good guys, Queen Isabella's team. Henry elected to join the bad guys on King Ferdinand's team. 


   
 It was a riot! Afterwards, they were knighted.



    Then we met the Pirate Queen, and she taught the boys how to be pirates in her fleet. She gave them new pirate names: Henry is Crackers, and Teddy is Blackbox.




    She gave them each a coin, and Henry fed her dragon. A good pirate needs a captain, and we soon found ours!



    By this time everyone else came around, and we went in search of some lunch. 3 boys wanted hot dogs, and the rest wanted sandwiches. Unfortunately, I didn't tell the seller at the stall that one didn't need a bun. Teddy took one look at it and absolutely dissolved in tears. He said that he wanted it given to him, so I asked the cashier to hand it to him, but that wasn't enough. The rest of us ate, then Devon went for some ice cream, and then Henry had to get some. Finally, I convinced Teddy to have some, and he calmed down. 
    I spied the dread pirate Roberts and Inigo Montoya.  





Some fun outfits:





Then we went to see the joust!





I got the plague for this picture! She stamped my hand.

    It was beginning to rain by this time, and while Henry and Teddy tried their luck in the maze, I went to listen to this lovely woman play the bagpipes and sing Scottish love songs. We headed home soon thereafter. 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reports From the Renaissance

      The Kansas Renaissance Festival is shifting into high gear. While they put on events year-round, this is the main event! A friend deci...