Thursday, August 27, 2026

Wild Wonders

     We received a free zoo coupon. We get them quarterly, so we ventured out on one of the cooler days; it was still in the high 80s. The Kansas City Zoo had recently finished its Africa expansion, which included a new giraffe enclosure. Henry had gone to it with his class, but we hadn't seen it yet. The area had been closed the whole time we have lived here. I was excited to see it. 

    Pursuant to that aim, we boarded the tram first thing and rode to Africa in style! It makes a stop at the elephants, but we continued on. 

    I love how overcast days make colors pop! These flowers were so bright.


    We made it to the giraffes! They had put in some more stuff since Henry last saw it, so he was excited for that. He really liked the smaller giraffe statues.




    The enclosure is neat; it's that green building. You can go inside and see them if they are in there. They were all outside when we were there. There's also a restaurant and bathrooms, which is nice.



    We stopped for a bit at the play area. Lizzy and Teddy loved the zipline.





 
   Teddy wanted to see monkeys; he complained the whole way through Africa, he wants monkeys! I thought we had finally reached the ones he wanted, but upon entering the chimpanzee viewing area, he went ape! These are not the monkeys he is looking for. Alas.







  
  The kids loved running through this grass maze. Like a corn maze, but with tall grass. They were running wild in there!



Peek-a-boo!






    We walked back to the elephants and the aquarium. I lost Henry and Emily for a bit in the aquarium, but they turned up. Henry was excited that the octopus was out and about and showing off. 
    Lizzy took Teddy to see the real monkeys in the tropics area. He was appeased. Then we headed the wrong way to get out. I had only really left that way on the tram, but it's closed to pedestrian traffic, so we had to retrace our steps and go the long way. It was a good day overall, though.

    The Commemorative Air Force at Olathe Airport has open hangar days during the summer, and we went up to see it. They had rides for kids and a motorcycle show as well. 



    They had this old dogtag machine, and we had tags made. The machine was pre WW2. It was fun to see it work.











It was fun, and informative. We had another DnD session and Lizzy showed her flexability.





    During a later session, Lizzy's character had magic cookies; I had made cookies, so when her character ate one, she did too. She regretted the third cookie. It was hilarious!


Henry went fishing with the Activity boys from church. He caught a bluegill. 


    
    I went for a check up and while sitting on the table awaiting my doctor, I looked over at my chair and it struck me as poetic in a way.


    I've been through a lot of medical tests lately. Growing older is a lesson in losing dignity, but nessasary. And this shot seemed to encompass that feeling for me. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to School

      Back to School Time! Teddy is in a transitional kindergarten; his class has only 6 students. I caught this cute picture of Henry showi...